Posted to uk.d-i-y
Alan Holmes Alan Holmes is offline

Default How to flatten hardboard..?

"Adrian" wrote in message
HI Alan

On Tue, 19 Jun 2007 11:56:02 GMT, "Alan Holmes"
wrote:

"Adrian" wrote in message
. ..
HI All

I'm looking for ways to flatten, and keep flattened, the interior
hardboard-and-vinyl panels on my recently-acquired '64 Morris
Traveller.

At some stage in the past the old girl's let in rainwater, and some of
the interior panels have buckled. The particularly bad areas are along
the top of the doors, just under the window seal - where the panel is
standing a one to two cm away from the door in some places.

Rather than replace the whole lot (I think they're probably original)
- I was wondering about ways of removing the panels and clamping them
flat, to permanantly remove the 'wavyness'...

Wet the back of the panels then clamp them flat, or put a small ridge
around
the edge and weights in the centre, this may, or may not put a reverse
bump
in the panel.

Yes....
Sounds a bit like one of those things where you end up with with the
same problem as you started with - but the other way round (if you
know what I mean !)

'Tother problem is whether the clamping process would damage the vinyl
covering.....

Don't use a clamp, put some soft cushion material on the thing and place
heavy weights on it.