Posted to alt.home.repair
dadiOH dadiOH is offline

Default Sinking stoop

Phisherman wrote:
I have a 3x4' concrete stoop just under the side garage door. Since
1992 it has been sinking. About 1997 I dug under it, used a car
jack, and put rocks underneath. It has been sinking and now is 6"
below were it was. I'd have to remove some landscaping to repeat
what I did in 1997. Is there an easier way? I can't be sure if
the land is sinking or the builder buried refuge that is now
decaying.

I have the same problem except that mine isn't sinking that much. In
my case at least, the land isn't sinking nor was there buried organic
material. It's just that the damn thing is heavy and over time
it...well, sinks. Rain water working away under it doesn't help.

I don't think your proposed fix will stop it from sinking. My plan -
someday if I live enough - is to bust it up and put in a new one. The
house side of the new one will go down far enough to rest that edge on
the edge of the house footer; additionally, there will be rebar going
from it into the house foundation blocks.

--

dadiOH

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...