Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] nospam.house@none.com is offline

Default Exterior stucco/foundation question

My house is built in the 1950s. It has a craw space. The exterior
stucco goes all the way down to the dirt, covering the foundation.

On newer constructions, part of the foundation is exposed all around
on the outside, presumably to guard against termites,etc. Termites are
a problem in my area (San Jose, CA). My house was fumigated and
treated for sub-terrain termite about 2 years ago. (they dug a shallow
tunnel next to the foundation and sprayed stuff in it, and drilled in
concrete walkway area next to foundation every X inches and sprayed
stuff..)

I am thinking about doing some work on the stucco so part of the
foundation is exposed. Like cutting away the bottom X inches of the
stucco. My main concern is termite.

Is this worthwhile? If so, what kind of contractor do I hire? Stucco
contractors? General contractors? The stucco has metal mesh-wires, I
assuming doing the work means cutting the wire, etc. Is that generally
a good thing?

Thanks.

Raymond