Posted to alt.home.repair
Walter R. Walter R. is offline

Default How to pay contractor, who to make check out to?

Your contract was with the company, not the owner of the company. They are
totally different entities.

Make the check out to the company. That way there can never be any argument
as to your payment. All he has to do is to endorse the company check over to
himself, or to "Cash", and cash it or deposit it in whatever bank a/c he
likes.

No problem

--
Walter
www.rationality.net
"Tube Audio" wrote in message
t...
Hello

I hired a contractor to do some work, the work is complete and I got a
bill. The amount is $800. On the invoice at the bottom they wrote in ink
make check payable to "john smith", the owner. Not the name of the
company.

I guess they are doing this to avoid taxes.

The issue is, I would like to make the check out to the business's name as
this work involved a permit and was done over a dispute with a neighbor so
I want a record incase there are any further legal issues between me and
my neighbor. Should I just make the check out to the companies business
or to the owner?