Posted to alt.home.repair
James \Cubby\ Culbertson James \Cubby\ Culbertson is offline

Default Oh boy wood expands when wet...

"MiamiCuse" wrote in message
I have a wood gate - it's a double gate made with PT lumber. In a normal
condition the gate closes and there is a gap of about 1/4" between the two
gates. When it rains hard the gate seem to expand and I cannot even open
it - basically it's jamb locked.

So I guess wood expands when wet? I suppose there is no way to correct
this without taking apart one gate and cutting it shorted...there is no
play at all in the hinges.

Ideas?

MC

The gate should have been designed for the expansion (and shrinkage).
Evidently, it was not. If you built it,
here's a calculator to help figure dimensions for the future. In the
meantime, take the thing down and trim the edge to give you the necessary
clearance.

http://www.woodbin.com/calcs/shrinkulator.htm