Posted to sci.electronics.repair,uk.d-i-y
Sam Goldwasser Sam Goldwasser is offline

Default Magic eye on shredder

" writes:

On Jun 20, 3:19 pm, Ren=E9 wrote:
On Wed, 20 Jun 2007 04:47:04 -0700, "

wrote:
On Jun 20, 6:00 am, C wrote:
The sensor is just an IR LED. An easy way to test if it is the sensor
is to shine a bright flashlight onto the non-IR LED. If it shuts off =

it
is the sensor which can be sourced anywhere. If it doesn't shut off, =

it
isn't the sensor. Sensors are a major problem with Fellowes & I always
keep at least 6 sets in stock.

LEDs are emitters of light, not sensors.

MBQ

Poor sensors perhaps, but the *do* work as sensors!

They're not used as such in any sensible application.

They do work but rarely used in anything like this. Photodiodes are used with
IR LEDs.

But a comment in another post that it may not be the sensor also needs to be
pursued. That sensor drives a triac (probably) and they do fail shorted.