Posted to rec.woodworking
James \Cubby\ Culbertson James \Cubby\ Culbertson is offline

Default Better way to approach this--floor transitions?

"dadiOH" wrote in message
James "Cubby" Culbertson wrote:

In re-reading your comment I now think you mean that the problem lies
not with the thickness variation of Saltillo but that they - and,
apparently, the wood planks - were not laid with edges aligned. If
that is the case, you could cut both so the edges are in a straight
line. Why would they install either that way in the first place?

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Yes, the edges of the saltillo and wood planks are not aligned, albeit
slightly (say 1/8"). I really don't want to have to cut them in situ to
give me a straight line but may if that's necessary. I could always cut the
wood to fit and fill in the gaps with grout. I've put down 100's of feet of
saltillo (not 1000's as you did!) and found them to cut quite easily. I
too made baseboards from them. Looks really good. But back to the
transitions, I'm leaning towards making a crowned piece to cover the gap
and then glue that to a strip fitted for the gap (well my wife is leaning
towards the crowned look!). I'll letcha know what I end up doing.
Cheers,
cc