Posted to uk.d-i-y
Derek Geldard Derek Geldard is offline

Default Flourescent Lights

On Wed, 20 Jun 2007 21:03:03 +0100, "The Medway Handyman"
wrote:

Hi All

I quite often get asked to change fluorescent tubes in local offices & often
the starter is at fault. Since they all seem to be different makes with
different part numbers I usually take an old one to the local wholesaler to
buy them.

I'd rather keep some on the van - is there a 'universal starter' I could use
to fit all applications?

No they have to suite the tube (wattage) and setup (tubes connected in
series or not).

But from RS components and other cheaper suppliers you can get them in
big bags for very little money. You'd probably have to carry 4
variations maximum.

And - those bloody awful chrome plated plastic grids - I usually remove the
ceiling tile next to the light box & slide the grid aside - but sometimes
the adjacent tiles are above partitions - ant tips on removing/replacing the
little buggers?

Dunno I've been defeated by replacing plain crystalline diffusers in
flush mounted luminaires in suspended ceilings. They are bigger than
the hole they have to go through, and shatter if twisted to conform to
the opening. :-(

DG