Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair
v8z v8z is offline

Default Basement Construction Question

"Gary KW4Z" wrote in message
I'm nearing the point of specifying the type of basement construction that

want to use in a 36x70 home that we hope to build sometime around August.
The area where the home is to be built is almost devoid of poured

basements
due to the fact that not too many builders in the area have the forms or
experience in working with poured basements. That said I am still
considering Poured walls as an option. Another option I am considering is
the use of pre-cast and pre-cured Panels brought to the site on truck and
lifted into place by crane. I have heard that there are two types of

these.
One that uses the typical concrete outside and the other that is a wood
form. Last is to go with the Cement Block and work to waterproof it as

best
I can by preparation of the area around the home to route water away from
the foundation and then coat the exterior of the blocks very well.

Being on disability I do have a cost concern to think about but I'd much
rather pay up front to get quality than to have to face very expensive

work
several years after the job has been completed.

Any comments on Basement construction techniques, poured vs. cement block
and thoughts about the newer technology of panels formed off site and
trucked to the site (either wood or a masonry product).

Several others have mentioned ICF's - great product IF there are enough
experienced contractors in your area. We were planning on going that route,
til I found that there are only two experienced contractors in our area, and
the lack of competition made ICF's very pricey.
We have decided on www.superiorwalls.com for our foundation/basement.
pre-cast, pre-insulated wall system that uses their own trained crew to
install, and is very cost effective.