Posted to rec.woodworking
dadiOH dadiOH is offline

Default Better way to approach this--floor transitions?

James "Cubby" Culbertson wrote:

Thanks. The saltillo is higher than the wood. I was looking at
doing what you describe but unfortunately, the saltillo and wood
edges are not smooth (think jagged up to 1/4")

Yes, having laid 3000+ sq.ft. in my house, I know. However, the
uneveness is no problem; if you can maintain them in a fixed position
top up while beveling the bevel will be greater in high parts, lower
in the low. For example...

1. Radial arm saw with masonry blade, tile bottom down, use saw to
crosscut bevel.

2. Any tile saw where the blade or saw will tilt. Doesn't matter
whether it is a bridge type saw (radial saw equivalent) or table saw
where the tile is pushed into the blade.

I've done the above 1000s of times as all my baseboards and window
trim are Saltillo...cut a tile into 1/3s, cut a bevel on one edge,
round bevel by rotating bevel against a drum sander.

In re-reading your comment I now think you mean that the problem lies
not with the thickness variation of Saltillo but that they - and,
apparently, the wood planks - were not laid with edges aligned. If
that is the case, you could cut both so the edges are in a straight
line. Why would they install either that way in the first place?

--

dadiOH

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...