Posted to alt.home.repair
Tube Audio Tube Audio is offline

Default How to pay contractor, who to make check out to?

Hello

I hired a contractor to do some work, the work is complete and I got a bill.
The amount is $800. On the invoice at the bottom they wrote in ink make
check payable to "john smith", the owner. Not the name of the company.

I guess they are doing this to avoid taxes.

The issue is, I would like to make the check out to the business's name as
this work involved a permit and was done over a dispute with a neighbor so I
want a record incase there are any further legal issues between me and my
neighbor. Should I just make the check out to the companies business or to
the owner?