Posted to alt.home.repair
William Underhill William Underhill is offline

Default Door framing in load-bearing wall

RayV wrote:
On Jun 18, 10:06 pm, William Underhill wrote:
I would appreciate a quick run-down on the proper way to frame a door in
an existing load-bearing wall.

Anyway, my great appreciation to one and all for any help you can provide.

Normally you need the rough opening to be about 2" wider than the
door. In addition to the cripple studs that will support the header
you should put full height studs next to them for added stability and
a place to nail the molding. Google "rough opening framing" here is a
decent picture for windows but the idea is the same for doors:

http://www.hammerzone.com/archives/w...ro_framing.htm

Very helpful link, and excellent diagrams! Thanks!

As far as the temporary support you *probably* don't need any. You
will be taking out two or three studs so you should be fine. If you
want to support it here is what I did for a much wider opening when I
was worried about it.

Cut out the drywall.
Screw a 2x8 that is much longer than your opening to the top plate of
the wall up against the ceiling.
Wedge some 2x4s under the 2x8.
Install your header.
Take out the temp support.

Thanks for the suggestion; much less work than what I had in mind.

Yours aye,
W. Underhill

--
"Take sides! Always take sides! You may sometimes be wrong - but the man
who refuses to take sides must *always* be wrong! Heaven save us from