Posted to alt.home.repair
William Underhill William Underhill is offline

Default Door framing in load-bearing wall

dadiOH wrote:
William Underhill wrote:
I would appreciate a quick run-down on the proper way to frame a
door in an existing load-bearing wall. I do plan to get a permit
and have the work inspected, but I'd like to get a handle on the
right way to go
about it.

The wall:

I've verified it's a load-bearing wall by looking in the attic; it
runs perpendicular to the roof trusses.

That doesn't necessarily mean it is load bearing. One advantage of
using trusses is that THEY carry the weight and walls are not needed;
desired walls need not be load bearing.

Hm - good point. My background is marine electrical, not domestic
structural, so definitely a layman in terms of the finer points of
framing. Thanks.

W. Underhill

--
"Take sides! Always take sides! You may sometimes be wrong - but the man
who refuses to take sides must *always* be wrong! Heaven save us from