Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Ron(UK) Ron(UK) is offline

Default NiCad Battery Question

UCLAN wrote:
**THE-RFI-EMI-GUY** wrote:

It doesn't pose a problem to use a higher mah hour rating, in fact it
will run longer. I just got a new solar pool lamp, and the
instructions for it say as much. Additionally mine says to charge for
two days before using to get the battery fully charged. What this
means is that I have to bring it in at night and put under a lamp so
that it doesn't run all night. I would expect that if I put a battery
with twice the capacity, I probably should charge for 4 days .

Simply charge it first in an external charger. Problem solved.

Some of my cheapo garden lights batteries failed, and as an experiment I
just popped in normal AA duracells. That was last summer and they are
still working fine. And yes, before you flame me (groan)they are in a
place where an explosion of fire wouldn`t be a problem. They stay lit
all night on an afternoons sunlight charge.

Ron(UK)