Posted to uk.d-i-y
RobertL RobertL is offline

Default Strange ho****er problem

On Jun 20, 8:43 am, Thomarse wrote:
Hi,

I drained my heating system last night so that I could move a radiator
from one wall to another and to add some thermostatic valves to some
rads in the house.

Having drained the system I noticed a strange growling noize coming
from my airing cuboard when the boiler kicked in to heat the hot water
(I had turned off the heating but left hot water o timed as usual)..

The growing was coming from a pump in teh ariing cuboard so I quickly
turned off the ho****er on the controls and the growling stopped.

This is obviously becuase there is no water in the heating system, but
I dont understand why, I was under teh impression that the hot water
and heting coudl work independently.

Safe to say, I will not be turning teh hot water back on until I have
sorted out teh radiator move, which I hope I can do this evening as I
dont want to be without hot water for long!

Has anyone else experiened anything like it or have an explanation for
me to reassure me that it is normal and when I fill the heating system
back up it will all be ok...

I couldnt go into more deatil on the system ins and outs as I havent
got a clue what type it is etc.. It is over 20 years old however, and
can be tempramental at times!

Tom

this does not answer your question, but I have noticed that my boiler
(a Vokera Maxin) will not run unless there is adequate pressure in the
CH circuit. It does so even if it is set to HW only.