Posted to sci.electronics.repair,uk.d-i-y
Martin Pentreath Martin Pentreath is offline

Default Magic eye on shredder

On 20 Jun, 00:25, Sam Goldwasser wrote:

These sorts of sensors typically have an IRLED and photodiode. If transmission,
they will be on opposite sides of the paper path. If by reflection, it will be
a single sensor assembly. If you can identify the photodiode pins and disconnect
one, that should stop the shredder if it's a sensor problem.

Can you take pics of the sensor?

Hi Sam,

I can't get a good pic of it, but it would seem that on both sides of
the paper path there is something resembling an LED, although each one
looks slightly different. There is no reflector involved so far as I
can tell.

What I would like to do is get the sensor working again. The shredder
is designed with an "on/off" switch. When the switch is set to on (and
the sensor is working properly) it is in fact in standby until
triggered by a sheet of paper detected by the sensor. With *my*
shredder on that setting the motor runs continuously. However, I can
easily stop it just by manually flicking the switch to off. I just
like having the sensor working.

Cheers!

Martin