Posted to alt.home.repair
infiniteMPG infiniteMPG is offline

Default 19.5HP Briggs & Stratton - Yardman Mower Engine Problems

Didn't see any way to add a PDF file to the messages so I uploaded it
and this is the link :

http://www.infinitempg.com/carbimages.pdf

This shows the right and left side view of the carb on the front of
the engine, air cleaner assembly completely removed. I tweaked around
with the mixture screw yesterday (this is not shown in either picture,
it's below the square gas inlet assembly on the front of the carb) and
got it to smooth out. Then played with the idle adjustment screw (on
the right side view right beside the breather hose hanging loose). I
got it to idle fast and ride a lot better then before but not
perfect. Still managed to mow the rest of my yard. The thing I
noticed is that the throttle adjustment didn't do a thing for changing
the engine speed, the only thing I could do is adjust the idle screw.
The throttle cable is the cable you can see in the bottom of the left
side view and there is an adjustment screw where it mounts to the
front of the engine. This runs thru a linkage and ends up changing
the plate stop that rests against the idle adjustment screw in the
right side view. When I move the throttle adjustment it moves the
linkage on the front of the engine but it barely causes any movement
in the stop plate on the side of the carb. Not sure what's up with
that as I used to be able to throttle it so slow with the adjustment
before the engine would almost cut off.

So I still have some adjustment issues but now (hopefully) you can see
the setup I have on the engine.

I've never been able to adjust a carb with a broken bolt flange :-))

Me neither as I repaired the flange with JB Weld and it seems to be
holding solid and true :O) That "POP" is a sound I'd rather not
hear again :O)

Thanks,
Scott