Posted to alt.home.repair
cgmsys cgmsys is offline

Default How much seepage with patio blocks mortared and unmortered

The patio blocks around our pool are uneven due to roots and 30 years
of wear.

I am planning to pick them up, relevel and rescreed and re-lay them.

They were originally put down with 3/8" mortared joints (probably dry
mortar mix and misted).

I was wondering how much difference there would be in water intrusion
through the pavers if I put them back without the mortar. I've found
that a handheld air hammer will take the old mortar off very cleanly.
I'm thinking that might even be a little more watertight than if the
mortar joints crack.

I need this job to last about 3 or 4 years. My plan is to replace the
pavers, then paint over them with an acrylic paint with nonskid.

I can recalc the size to make up for the loss of the mortar joints.

Also, I had thought of putting plastic under the sand or perhaps
between the sand and the pavers but that seems like it might cause
problems.

One final question. I'm assuming that 1/4 inch per foot would be
sufficient. There are parts where it's about 1" in 1 foot right now.

Thanks, I'd really appreciate any input.

cg