Posted to rec.crafts.brewing,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair
Mark R Mark R is offline

Default Portable regulated CO2 system at Lowes

"Richard J Kinch" wrote in message
. ..
EXT writes:

Also the CO2 gas supply for drinks should not be industrial grade
possibly with oil and other contaminants, the gas should be identified
for drink dispensers and be oil free.

This is a myth.

"Industrial" grades are actually *cleaner* than beverage grade. Welding
processes cannot tolerate contamination.

CO2 tanks deliver vapor over liquid, which purifies further by
distillation
and purging.

I wondered if anyone was going to suggest the do it yourself route. Here is
a link for just that purpose if you're a DIY type.
http://www.schwedhelm.net/brew/biggasser.html

And I copied and saved some comments (I think from an old thread) about
installing the regulator;

"For me, this was quite an educational process, I didn't understand that
there was any difference between a primary and secondary regulator. I
thought one was just down stream of the other. I didn't realize they were
rated for different pressures.

As the gas is going directly into the regulator, it must be rated high
enough to handle the pressure. The typical secondary regulator is only
rated for 100-250 psi max. CO2 tanks put out 800+psi. The damned thing
could have blown on me.

The next thing is right-hand or left-hand threads. Virtually all paintball
equipment is right-hand thread. It looks as though primary regulators are
mixed between RH and LH.

So, you want a regulator rated for well in excess of 800 psi (the one
mentioned above is rated for 3,000 psi) and that has right-handed threads.
The only thing this one seems to be missing is a check valve, which are
easily accessible and installed. Beer here, Mike. After looking around on
their site some more, in the replacement gauge
http://www.beveragefactory.com/draft...lacement.shtml
it has a RH high pressure gauge listed for Norgren and Chudnow brands (the
one I ordered was a Norgren) and LH for Micromatic, TapRite, NADS, and
Cornelius brands.
I saw that part of the site, and I almost ordered the same regulator, but if
you could confirm that the part where the HP nipple, which goes to the CO2
tank, is indeed right-handed, when you receive the regulator, then I would
appreciate it. Well, I got it today and the threads are indeed right handed.
I had no problem removing the tank connector and installing the paintball
tank setup. http://www.schwedhelm.net/brew/biggasser.html Now I just need to
get the tank filled to try it. Also there was a thread about the regulator a
while back. The regulator I used was the economy regulator for $20 at:
http://www.beveragefactory.com/draft...tors/co2.shtml

Good luck
Mark R