Posted to alt.home.repair
dadiOH dadiOH is offline

Default Door framing in load-bearing wall

William Underhill wrote:
I would appreciate a quick run-down on the proper way to frame a
door in an existing load-bearing wall. I do plan to get a permit
and have the work inspected, but I'd like to get a handle on the
right way to go
about it.

The wall:

I've verified it's a load-bearing wall by looking in the attic; it
runs perpendicular to the roof trusses.

That doesn't necessarily mean it is load bearing. One advantage of
using trusses is that THEY carry the weight and walls are not needed;
desired walls need not be load bearing. I have numerous interior
walls
perpendicular to the trusses and only one is load bearing because it
is at the juncture of two wings.

That doesn't mean you shouldn't do your framing in a standard manner.

--

dadiOH

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...