Posted to alt.home.repair
Andy Asberry Andy Asberry is offline

Default NiCad battery discharge rate?

On 18 Jun 2007 20:30:45 GMT, Jim Yanik wrote:

there's a thermoswitch inside the battery pack,the third terminal is the
sense terminal.It opens when the temp goes higher than the switch rating.
IIRC,the NiCds used for RC apps get VERY hot in use(discharging),too hot to
hold.(unless you are into pain)

My 9.6V Makita packs get warm but not "hot" when recharging.
You can hold them without discomfort.

I sure just mentioning this will bring the battery gods down on me. I
received a Makita drill with NiCds for Christmas 1989. I was flying RC
planes then and marked the date on the batteries as was customary. The
charger crapped out about 5 years ago so I bought a new drill which
was only $50 more than a charger. It came with NiMH batteries. They
died about 2 years ago. I thought, heck I'll try the NiCds which had
been sitting for 3 years. I've been using them for 2 years now.

--Andy Asberry--