Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Liquorice Dave Liquorice is offline

Default Broadband Cable & Mains Power Cable

On Tue, 19 Jun 2007 00:45:09 +0100, Graham wrote:

Personally I'd not run the xDSL signal any further than it absolutely
has to. Fit the DSL modem at the NTE and run network cabling to your
switch/firewall or WHY.

Why do you say that?

Experience. I've had different preformance from my ADSL after simply
moving the wires around in the junction box and NTE. We are talking very
low levels of RF at the upper end of the DSL range, small changes can make
significant differences.

The DSL might have come many kilometres from the exchange in an
un-screened bundle with hundreds of other pairs and running close to
many sources of electrical noise.

As a balanced pair with other balanced pairs, mutual interference is quite
low. Induced interference is common mode and should be rejected by the
modem. if it's any good.

The DSL signal is "delicate" and easily interfered with, no point in
opening any more windows for interference than absolutly neccessary. Where
are there more tiny arcs, switching transients etc In the home or under
the street?

Proper networking kit is designed to be robust and can be run almost
anywhere without much regard to noise sources.

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail