Posted to uk.d-i-y
nightjar nightjar is offline

Default plastic to 2" cast iron waste

"maxim naumov" wrote in message
hello everyone

my bathroom basin's and bath's waste is going into a 2" CI pipe. a 40mm
plastic pipe was loosely inserted in a metal pipe that was fixed in the CI
socket with lead and some kind of cement. the joint between plastic and
metal was wrapped around with some crap (sorry) that kept leaking. I
decided to do it nicely, removed the smaller metal pipe and cleaned the CI
socket. now it is all nice and clean, but I don't know how to fit a
plastic pipe in there properly. I was initially hoping for push-fit
adapters, similar to toilet pan connectors that go into cast iron pipes,
sealing with fins, but could not find any. one PM suggested putting a
rubber adapter that goes onto the outside of the CI pipe and fixed there
with a clip, but I could not remove the socket, it is too close to the
wall. I cannot replace the whole stack with plastic either.

any suggestions? ...

Get an iron or aluminium hopper that will fit the CI pipe and let the
plastic waste discharge freely into that. There is no need for bath and sink
waste pipe runs to be sealed, unless they discharge into a soil stack, and
the air gap will prevent any tendancy for syphonage to empty the traps.

Colin Bignell