Posted to alt.home.repair
HomerS HomerS is offline

Default Sand in pump - how bad is this?

On Mon, 18 Jun 2007 12:42:14 -0700, Ook wrote:

Sweeet. I will look for one of these. The water depth in my well is
about 10 feet, but it drops to about 7 feet in the summer, and I don't
know how much more it drops with the pump running. Towards the end of
last summer, it started to suck air so I'm guessing the water level
dropped right down to the foot valve at that time. I can raise the
intake tube some, but at the risk of running dry towards the end of
summer.

On Jun 18, 11:03 am, Andrew Duane wrote:
There are "sand separators" for pumps that have to live in sandy
areas. I had one on my first house, very VERY cheap insurance.

Water tables are dropping just about everywhere. You may need to
choke down the rate you are pumping from the well.

I'm thinking the sand filter you install at the bottom of the well
will help, but you probably also need to crank down the flow rate.