Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Hall Andy Hall is offline

Default RIP Wickes

On 2007-06-19 00:05:53 +0100, EricP said:

Focus sold to US hedge fund Cerberus for £1.00

I wonder if Wickes will survive yet again?

Wickes is now owned by Travis Perkins, although it's demise would be no
great loss.

As to Focus, it's no great surprise that it's a failing business.
The stores are full of little bits of this and that and very little
worthwhile. Adding pets and crafts sections was a big mistake because
the stores now fall short on both these and DIY goods. Once one
includes the surly staff with bad attitude and the double glazing
franchises accosting people on the way in, I think that their fate is
probably sealed.

The three largest and most successful DIY stores worldwide are Home
Depot, Lowes and Kingfisher (B&Q, Castorama, etc.) The latter
two have copied the first... Overall the formula is pretty simple.
Large place where you can buy everything or almost everything that
you need to complete a DIY project.

Focus lacks what their name suggests.

Perhaps there is at least scope for a good old fashioned asset strip.