Posted to alt.home.repair
aspasia aspasia is offline

Default Trex deck/steps - how clean and stain?

On Sun, 17 Jun 2007 22:38:34 -0400, Dan Espen
wrote:

aspasia writes:

On Sun, 17 Jun 2007 12:30:09 -0500, dpb wrote:

aspasia wrote:
I am having side steps installed via a city grant. The Bid and Scope
of work called for a composite; we ordered Trex because contractor
buys at HD.

But Trex Website says that their material has to "fade" for 12 to 16
weeks before it can be painted/stained with good results.

That doesn't sound right. Here's what I found at the Trex site under
"painting":

Although Trex decking never needs to be painted or stained for
protection, be aware that you can paint or stain Trex products to
achieve a custom color.

What you found IS correct, but exploring further leads to the advice
that I cite above.

At this URL

http://trex.com/care/default.asp

clicking on "Warranty and Care",
you will find advice about weathering and about painting/staining.

Following the links, you will come to the Painting bulletin.

Personally, I think putting paint or stain on composite is nuts.

Each to their own. But as the Trex advice implies, untreated
composite can look ugly. My little stair treads are already all
blotchy with various drips & such. I will wait the recommended
"fade" period and then clean off the treads as well as possible and
finish them with "solid" rather than "semi" stain.