Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim Yanik Jim Yanik is offline

Default NiCad battery discharge rate?

KC wrote in
oups.com:

On Jun 18, 9:26 am, "Steve Barker"
wrote:
Really, only experimentation will tell the story. The higher the
discharge rate, the hotter they will get. You don't want them hot.
And when they do get warm, you'll want them to have a complete cool
down before putting them on the charger.

Not to be glib, but that's why I asked the question. "Hot" is a
relative term - more than room temp, to hot to touch, etc, etc. So how
hot is too hot? I had hoped there was someone who could point me to a
spec sheet on these things since experimenting at $38 a pop is not
good.
My battery charger somehow senses battery temp since it has a mode
"Charging delayed - battery hot", and I have seen it go into that mode
when the battery case only felt lukewarm in the hand.

KC

there's a thermoswitch inside the battery pack,the third terminal is the
sense terminal.It opens when the temp goes higher than the switch rating.
IIRC,the NiCds used for RC apps get VERY hot in use(discharging),too hot to
hold.(unless you are into pain)

My 9.6V Makita packs get warm but not "hot" when recharging.
You can hold them without discomfort.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik