Posted to alt.home.repair
Doug Miller Doug Miller is offline

Default Can UF cable just be left out to the elements?

In article , "Toller" wrote:

I would like to run a lighting circuit off the outlet to my boat house so I
can put some lights on it. Can I use UF cable for that (it will simply be
exposed to the elements) or must I use do something more elaborate? I will
rarely use it, so I don't want to put a lot of money into it.

Any major safety issues I am ignoring in the whole scheme?

Yep -- UV degradation of the insulation. Definitely a Code violation unless
the cable is specifically approved for sunlight exposu

"Type UF cable shall not be used as follows: [...] where exposed to direct
rays of the sun, unless identified as sunlight resistant" [2005 NEC, Article
340.12(9)]

It's also possible that installation in a boat house would be considered as a
location "subject to physical damage" which is also prohibited for UF cable
under 340.12(10). But your biggest concern is that under exposure to sunlight,
the insulation may turn dry and brittle, and flake off.

--
Regards,