Posted to alt.home.repair
dnoyeB dnoyeB is offline

Default Recapture Cooler Basement Air? (AC Question)

On Mon, 18 Jun 2007 07:35:09 -0700, DerbyDad03 wrote:

When the AC is being used, my basement tends to get about 5 degrees
cooler than the first floor. The basement is used for laundry, storage
and my workshop, so it doesn't need to be that cold.

Here's my idea: Cut a hole in my return trunk, near the floor, to
recapture the cooler air and send it back upstairs. I'd install a filter
and design it so it could be easily sealed up in the winter.

So, if this isn't a ridiculously bad idea, how would I go about
determining the correct size for the opening?

Sorry to inform you, yes it is a rediculously bad idea

Getting air out of a room is just as important as getting it in when you
want to control the temperature. If you cut the return, you will stop air
from leaving the rooms upstairs. That will mean less air will enter those
rooms. Perhaps that air is cooler now, but I am willing to bet the
reduced quantity is going to hurt you big time.

I doubt your A/C has problem cooling the warmer air it sucks in from the
returns now. If it does you need some work.

I closed all my basement vents.

what you can do is run the fan only. the air coming out will still tend
to be cooler. but it raises the household humidity.