Posted to uk.d-i-y
Maris Maris is offline

Default Damp problem... DIY chemical damp-proof kit?

On Thu, 14 Jun 2007 09:59:42 -0700, Chris George
wrote:

I have used in my house DryZone from Safeguard Chemicals. It workeed.
It only requires a bit of commonsense to follow the instructions and a
dirty great big applicator gun with lance on the end. You could rig up
your own system with aluminium or steel tube and a LARGE mastic gun.
Test the plaster as follows with a damp meter (hire or borrow) every
few cycles of humidity high and low and see if it alters the readings.
Test the pattern of existing readings - If there is a "high tide" mark
somewhere 300 to 1000 above the ground with lower readings above and
below - that is probably rising damp!

The only problem with this method is that the fluid will just shoot
away into an abyss if there are any irregularities in the old mortar
(and there usually are), which I discoverd to my cost (and DPC fluid
isn't cheap). If I need to repeat the treatment (and the indications
are that I will) I will use those wax stick things that slowly melt
and permeate the bricks/mortar course much more effectively.

If you replaster use a 3:1 render with Sika No 1 water proofer and you
wont go far wrong
In fact you could do that without the dpc and probably get away with
it but not recommended.
Good luck
Chris

I wouldn't recommend using render - you could end up with condensation
problems instead. In my previous house I used Limelite Renovating
plaster, which worked a treat. I don't think they make it any more but
I think there are equivalents. I am busy tearing off the render off my
damp party wal and it is not going back on. The previous owners had
made doubly sure that the damp would remain in the wall by using vinyl
paint on top of the render!

Maris