Posted to alt.home.repair
Dan Espen Dan Espen is offline

Default Trex deck/steps - how clean and stain?

aspasia writes:

On Sun, 17 Jun 2007 12:30:09 -0500, dpb wrote:

aspasia wrote:
I am having side steps installed via a city grant. The Bid and Scope
of work called for a composite; we ordered Trex because contractor
buys at HD.

But Trex Website says that their material has to "fade" for 12 to 16
weeks before it can be painted/stained with good results.

That doesn't sound right. Here's what I found at the Trex site under
"painting":

Although Trex decking never needs to be painted or stained for
protection, be aware that you can paint or stain Trex products to
achieve a custom color.

Personally, I think putting paint or stain on composite is nuts.