Posted to alt.home.repair
aspasia aspasia is offline

Default Trex deck/steps - how clean and stain?

On Sun, 17 Jun 2007 12:30:09 -0500, dpb wrote:

aspasia wrote:
I am having side steps installed via a city grant. The Bid and Scope
of work called for a composite; we ordered Trex because contractor
buys at HD.

Naive me thought composite was BETTER than wood. Turns out it is just
much cheaper!!!

Not to look "gift" steps in the mouth; they did replace dangerous old
concrete steps, but problems have arisen painting/staining.

Trex Website says need one kind of stain - semi-transparent -- for the
pressure-treated green wood that forms the supports on both sides and
the risers.

OK, fine.

Need another kind -- solid -- for the actual decking, or treads,and I
guess contractor is using it for handrails too (!) because of cost.
(How the hell much more could two short pieces of redwood cost??!!)

OK, fine.

But Trex Website says that their material has to "fade" for 12 to 16
weeks before it can be painted/stained with good results.

OK, fine.

Meantime, the treads are getting blotchy with water spots and
who knows what else.

Trex Website says to clean with "soap and water and a stiff brush".

I did, but it didn't clean up.

What to do? Just ignore the treads and any soiling until the "fading"
has taken place, THEN try to clean up before staining?

I certainly wouldn't do anything until then. Outdoors, "stuff" is going
to happen, whatever the material. Give it time, it will gradually get a
weathered look and blend in. I'm not sure I'd start the staining cycle,
but that's your call, I guess...

You're quite right.

I'm not going to stain the treads unti the "fading" has happened.
The Trex Web site warns against precipitous action.

I will have the contractor stain the pressure-treated green wood
supports and risers -with a semi-transparent product, and leave me a
supply of matching solid stain for when it's time to do the treads.

Tx

Aspasia