Posted to rec.woodworking
Glen Glen is offline

Default Is A SawStop Table Saw Worth the Money

Digger wrote:

OSHA is one of the greatest BS components of the government today! AND
the principle reasons for companies to outsource!!
I was charged 3500.00 when my people were taking down a tower of
scaffolding FROM a sissor lift and one stepped out on the scaffold to
pick up a walk board. OSHA sent me a picture and the charge for "no
hand rails". We had the best safety record in the industry according
to my insurance co. Our country is destroying itself with political
correctness and lack of personal responsibility.

Lord have mercy, you are so right. We used to have another wood teacher
at my school until he cut off two fingers (now he runs the tardy
center). OSHA fined the district (if I recall correctly the
amount)$3200, claiming that it insufficiently trained the (state
credentialed wood shop) teacher. Then they sent out some baboon to
inspect the shop while I was teaching. He complained that my drill
press did not have a safety guard on it, thus a student would be able to
injure himself by touching the drill bit. He also complained that the
lathe tools, all in the tool rack, were accessible to the students, thus
could be used as weapons in a fight. I explained that the students
actually use the lathes, and thus the tools are necessary. He answered
that it was still dangerous and I should keep them locked up in my
office and give a student one tool at a time, swapping them out as
necessary. I could continue with this idiot's suggestions, but it would
be just more and more lunacy. I told him he was a horse's ass and asked
him to leave my shop. The district office risk management supervisor
was with him (whom I have known for years) also suggested to the OSHA
guy that he should move along because he had two more shops to inspect.
My supervisor later returned alone and told me that he agreed with me,
but I should try to be a bit more tactful since the district is
appealing the fine. I answered that I would be tactful to anyone who
isn't an idiot.

Glen