Posted to alt.home.repair
M Q M Q is offline

Default vampires and power usage

Don Klipstein wrote:

In article 6zeci.5552$O15.1004@trnddc03, M Q wrote:

Doorbell transformer 8 watts
cordless phones 4-9 watts
DirecTV receiver (off) 34 watts
TV (off) 17
Garage door opener 2.5
Fax machine 10
Gas furnace 20
Newer gas furnace 27
Central AC outdoor unit 20-40 watts (two different units)

Are these watts or volt-amps? Most of these sound high to me.

- Don Klipstein )

You should probably take those numbers with a grain of salt.
I really need to remeasure, now that I have a Kill-a-Watt
to easily give me real power. (at least for plug-in devices).
The wired in devices are definitely VA, as I used one of those
clamp around current probes rather than breaking the circuit.
(although the 40 watt AC outdoor unit was a resistive heater).
The plug in devices may be VA or Watts.

I will repost here once I have remeasured with real power numbers.
(don't hold your breath -- it may be a while).
I would encourage people to make their own measurements, as devices
vary greatly. I have noticed that newer devices are often much better,
as measured by the "how warm does it get?" method.