Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Default New Bulb Keeps Burning Out

Dimitrios Paskoudniakis wrote:
I have a two-story family room, with two indoor flood lights in the ceiling,
so it's a pain in the butt to replace them, bringing in my extension ladder.

I'm using the kind of bulb that the previous owner had, a 120V 65W indoor
flood light bulb, which has a several inch diameter almost flat top. The
bulb housing has a spherical cover with an opening for the bulb so that the
bulb top completes the sphere. The housing can be rotated for directional
lighting.

For one of the two lights, I've noticed that a replacement bulb keeps
burning out within a couple of days of replacing. I just replaced the other
one for the first time after we've been here 21 months, and it was there
before that.

Any advice on how to resolve the one light fixture with a new bulb burning
out within a couple of days would be appreciated.

Several possibilities and my suggested fix --

First, the fix (probably) -- buy 130V bulbs from a good-quality
supplier, not the cheapest Chinese import you can find. The higher
rated filament will last _much_ longer.

Now the questions/possibilities --

Are the replacements you're using the "low-priced spread"? See above...

Is there a vibration source near the one and not the other light? Like
the kids' playroom above or something?

Is there a difference in venting or insulation or airflow obstruction
near the second and not the first causing high(er) temperatures?

Check for loose connections of the fixture to the house wiring at the
fixture and that the bulb base is clean and the socket base tab is
making good contact w/ the bulb base.

Same switch controls both I presume? If not, check the switch
connections on the second for similar issues as above.