Posted to alt.home.repair
infiniteMPG infiniteMPG is offline

Default 19.5HP Briggs & Stratton - Yardman Mower Engine Problems

Update 6/16.2007 - Pulled a little 'stunt' last evening trying to get
the model off the engine. Was told several places to look and ended
up pulling all the side panels and hood off the mower and the side
covers. When I was about to pull the top cover off I happened to look
and there is a tag on the top of the top cover right in my face.
Sometimes the most obvious is the hardest to notice.... duh!

MODEL - 42E777 / TYPE - 1280 01 / CODE - 9509215A

Ran down to a local mower shop this morning and got a complete carb
rebuild kit for $13. Alos grabbed a new air filter and foam filter
cover. Didn't know what I was doing totally and no instructions so I
set off to do my best.

Pulled everything apart, got the float out, cleaned all the ports,
replaced all the parts I could (one jet housing I couldn't get out and
didn't want to damage so I cleaned as good as I could). Replaced the
float, the springs, gaskets, seals, everything I could. Put
everything back together, mounted it up and hoped for the best.

Sprayed a little starter fluid in and fired her up. Started right up,
settled to idle quick and then I tried engaging the blades to put a
load on the engine and it purred great! Put the filter on, restarted
it and mowed. Nice feeling.

Was running a little s-l-o-w at full throttle so I think I have to
adjust the settings a little but managed to mow a good portion of the
yard before the sun baked my brain. Appears there are a couple
adjustments on the carb, a needle screw under the bowl section of the
float (which I beleive adjusts the mix), a screw on the throttle lever
which I think only adjusts the idle speed, and a screw on the front of
the engine that looks to be part of the throttle cable setting. Any
help to increase the full throttle speed (I may of turned something
when trying to fix it before)?

Thanks again for your assistance,
Scott