Posted to uk.d-i-y
The Wanderer The Wanderer is offline

Default Monitoring Power supply

On Fri, 15 Jun 2007 22:15:20 +0100, Adrian Simpson wrote:

I suspect that I shall be disappointed, but here goes.

The power supply around here is not the most reliable in the world.
Today it has gone off three times (off for ~3 hours so far),

Three times in one day? Are you in a part of the UK that's been affected by
the recent very heavy rainfall? Are outages a common occurence?

If you are getting power outages on a regular basis, you should be taking
it up with your local distribution company, but you'll need to gather some
evidence, like a record of date and times over a period of at least a few
weeks, to back up your complaint.

and I
suspect that the voltage is down (fluorescent won't fire up, normal
bulbs are flickering).

Again, take it up with the distribution company operating in your region,
low volts and noticeably flickering lights are their problem, not yours.

I take it you have actually tried 'phoning them to ask if they've problems
in your area.......

Is there a cheap way of monitoring the quality
of the power supply (keeping a record) ?

No. Data loggers cost money.

--
the dot wanderer at tesco dot net