Posted to alt.home.repair
Oren Oren is offline

Default 19.5HP Briggs & Stratton - Yardman Mower Engine Problems

On Fri, 15 Jun 2007 14:00:08 -0400, Meat Plow
wrote:

On Fri, 15 Jun 2007 14:18:31 +0000, infiniteMPG wrote:

Still got carb problems.

The carb is pretty simple, the only thing I didn't dig into was the
float. When the top cap is removed the gasket is stuck to the bottom
of the carb housing. The float mechanism seems mounted to something
in the top half and something is under the gasket in the bottom half.
So unless I scrap the gasket off and replace it I can't seperate the
halves. Does this sound like float issues? Should the entire float
mechanism be relaced or could it just be sticking?

If the gasket is seriously stuck - it needs to be replaced! You can
make one with gasket material from the auto store. There may be a
vacuum leak at the gasket.

The float neddle can be worn on the tip (rubber point) and needs to be
checked to ensure the float works, Use a gauge to set the float...

Sounds like a trip to the parts shop to get a gasket and a float or a
complete rebuild kit. I checked and did not see ANY numbers or
identifiers on the carb anywhere. How do you ask for a rebuild kit or
float or would there just be one carb available on the 19.5hp 3672CN
engine?

Go to the B&S site, locate your model..they may sell the kit. Check
for a local B&S service center.

Thanks,
Scott

It could go by the make and serial number of the mower but you could
take the carb with you also. Sounds like the engine is dying because it's
starving for fuel (unless it makes black smoke) when the governor pulls
the throttle up and that could be a sign of low fuel level in the bowl
(float/needle valve problem) You probably should call the parts department
and ask the exactly what they need to look up a parts list for that carb.

Sticky/worn float needle is a great place to look. So far the OP has
not gotten into the float parts, unless I missed it :-(
-
--
Oren