Posted to alt.home.repair
Roger Roger is offline

Default security lights?

"Smitty Two" wrote in message
news
My honey-do for the weekend is to install motion-activated security
lights at the front and rear of my g.f.'s house. Just some exterior
wall-mounted units with built-in sensors, I'm thinking. This seems like
somewhat of a no-brainer, but beyond aesthetic choices are there options
or do's and don'ts to consider? I want to avoid the shoulda woulda
coulda regrets.

Don't try to save money on these. You can get them for 20 bucks or less,
but they are plasticky, don't last , and have a lot of frustrating false
postive on-cycles from wind and very small animals.
6 yrs ago, I put up three sets of Heath Zenith dual lights from Home Depot.
About 70 bucks, but absolutely reliable, great sensitivity and threshold
controls, corrosion resistant, earthtone colors, and, best of all, a
lifetime guarantee (these units tend to break down easily, if not quality
made). Suggest you also twist wires well, use good wire nuts, and electrical
tape the nuts to the wire, so that they stay tight and water resistant.
Also, I totally agree with other posters - point them and the sensor
elements so passersby way out on the street don't trigger the lights. Use
low wattage, perhaps 30-35w GE Miser reflector-back floods. No need to blind
the innocents.
Roger