Posted to alt.home.repair
MLD MLD is offline

Default suggestions on new mower

"Bob" wrote in message
I realize a bit off topic, but am posting here rather than on a lawn
& garden NG because I feel the answers here regarding mowers are far
more valuable.

I have a Craftsman 42" - 18 HP mower that is 11 years old. I want
to replace it and will not consider another Sears product because of
the parts situation. Replaced the steering mechanism last year,
part cost $75, shipping was $62; not for me.

Anyway, am considering a Cub Cadet; 50" (three blades), 22 HP
Kawasaki engine. $3,000.
Also thinking about a Hustler (No details on specs yet) and I heard
an ad about a Scag for home use, which I have not looked into, but
am sure it is going to be much costlier than the Cub. Also the
Hustler is also much more expensive.

I take care of my equipment oil / filter changes, lubed, blades
sharpened, keep in garage out of weather. But I am wondering about
parts availability for the three types.

Anyone have any experience and/or suggestions. BTW, I am thinking
that I can nurse the old Craftsman through this year and wait until
winter when I should be able get a better deal.

I have a little over an acre to mow; Are these mowers an overkill?

Thanks for your input, Bob

I just got a Craftsman 42" 18 HP Lawn Tractor. Price was right and it is
replacing another Craftsman 36" 14HP that is at least, if not more than, 25
years old. It was running good and my fault that triggered the decision to
replace it--hit a tree root that cracked one of the blade mandrels. You're
right, it was costly ($85) to replace and I decided to go for a new machine.
But the prime reason for sticking with Craftsman is the fact that the if I
wanted to pay the price, at least the part is available. Don't know about
other brands but at least I know that you can count on Craftsman for part
availability. Besides, I believe that it is a good product. The tractor has
performed flawlessly over the years.
MLD