Posted to rec.woodworking
Tom Watson Tom Watson is offline

Default ee's please reply - (or those who think think they may know)

Don't know whether they thought to check, or not.

Don't really know how someone who isn't really creative via
personality might be encouraged to think outside the box created for
them - that made them part of their personal cognoscenti.

If you teach a non creative person that x is true, he will think that
x is true.

He may pass his whole life without questioning what x is.

I've played with drummers who are like that.

So far, I haven't seen any satisfactory answers.

On Fri, 15 Jun 2007 21:51:09 -0500, "todd" wrote:

"Tom Watson" wrote in message
.. .
Tim:

Let's say that I admit all that you present.

The fundamental question still stands.,

Why do we insist on producing conductors composed of very expensive
core materials, when we could achieve the same effect, or better, by
coating the core material with a highly conductive skin?

I used to work in an industry that catered to the electric utility industry,
specifically in transmission and distribution. If there was ever an
industry where this would matter, this would be it. The concept of, for
lack of a better term, bimetallic cable is not foreign to this industry.
The have a variety of cables classified as ACSR (Aluminum Conductor, Steel
Reinforced). These cables contain a stranded steel core with a stranded
aluminum covering. Now, the purpose of this is not for cost reduction, but
in high-strength applications where aluminum or aluminum-alloy conductors
would not be strong enough. My assumption would be that since the engineers
are familiar with this product and its current-carrying capabilities (and
how it relates to AAC and AAAC conductors), if there was an advantage to
this sort of arrangement, they'd be doing it. From your other posts on this
thread, it appears that you think it just hasn't occurred to them to check.
That might be the case, but I doubt it.

todd

Regards,

Tom Watson