Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andrew May Andrew May is offline

Default fire regs for loft conversion

Owain wrote:
Andrew May wrote:
Simon Stroud wrote:
Any doors replaced as part of the conversion would have to be
upgraded to fire doors.

JOOI what about doors replaced not as part of the conversion. Say, as
part of refitting the kitchen some time later. Do they still have to
be fire doors or could you invoke the grandfather principle and
install something that is no worse than what was there previously?

I would say they still have to be fire doors, as otherwise they *would*
be worse than what was there previously (ie the fire door). Grandfather
principle does not mean you can go back in history.

Owain

Possibly a poor example. I was thinking specifically about doors that
had not been replaced as part of the conversion and therefore were not
fire doors even after the conversion.

Andrew