Posted to rec.woodworking
Peter Huebner Peter Huebner is offline

Default Semi OT Battery Technology

In article , says...
Subject: Semi OT Battery Technology
From: goaway
Newsgroups: rec.woodworking

I guess if I was very clever, I would just rebuild my older cordless drill
batteries. The newer drills do not seem to have the durability of the older
PC units. I have a Panasonic unit. I bet my PC when new could have beaten
the pants of what is out there new. A set of new batteries for my old PC
was MORE than the new Panasonic with batteries. Oh well.

My first Panasonic, a 9.6 with Nicad didn't last long, the battery that is.
Couple of years maybe. At that point I bought my second one, a 12V with 2x3 Ah
NiMH and had the 9.6 repacked with NiMH also. That trio has lasted me somewhere
around the 6-7 years mark, but over the last few months they have faded badly.
So now I am getting the two 12V ones repacked, and I've replaced the 9.6 (sweet
machine as it is) with a 10.6 V Bosh driver, that comes with a couple of Li-Ion
accus. As yet no idea how that will hold up; obviously - I haven't even used it
in a work situation yet.

I think NiCad is ok in a high usage area but if you intermittently don't use
the appliance for weeks or even months they seem to die fast. NiMH don't do
that, but they lose their charge fairly steadily; initially over 3-4 months,
right now over about 1 week. Looking forward to finding out how the LiION will
hold up by comparison. A 2000 recharge lifecycle (as quoted by someone else on
the thread) would be just fine by me, cause it would translate into a 20+ year
lifespan :-)

-P.