Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default polystyrene loft insulation

Peter wrote:
Since a neighbour discovered that this insulation eats into electric
wiring I have cleared 2 lofts of the stuff, smallish loose bits
rather like that used in packing.
Anyway, having cleared said lofts with broom/garden vac on suck and
blow/dustpan and brush etc.. I'm looking for a decent way of
vacuuming the nasty stuff. Hire shops cant help. I wondered if
anyone here might have an idea? Convert the garden vac?

To give an idea of volume. one attic filled 34 wheeliebin bags so
rigging a suction hose that empties thro the loft hatch into a bin in
the hall below would be perfect.
Otherwise its back to 120 degree pain for the next loft (in 3 weeks
time)

Two possible solutions;

Shred the polystyrene to reduce the volume. This means the stuff has to go
through the vac turbine - a garden vac does just that - its a 'dirty fan'
vacuum.

Litter Vacs operate on this principle.
http://www.macrogroundcare.co.uk/pag...FR8hEAodFCFVaA

If you could fit a hose in place of the bag on your garden vac, it should
work - you would still need a bag on the end of the hose though. It could
be a large bag.

Plan 'B'. Use a vacuum cleaner with an interceptor tank. This is simply a
large container fitted between the vacuum cleaner and the cleaning nozzle.

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman