Posted to uk.d-i-y
Peter Peter is offline

Default polystyrene loft insulation

"Weatherlawyer" wrote in message
ups.com...
On Jun 14, 11:28 pm, "Franko" wrote:
"Peter" wrote in message

Since a neighbour discovered that this insulation eats into electric
wiring
I have cleared 2 lofts of the stuff, smallish loose bits rather like

that
used in packing.
Anyway, having cleared said lofts with broom/garden vac on suck and
blow/dustpan and brush etc.. I'm looking for a decent way of

vacuuming
the
nasty stuff. Hire shops cant help. I wondered if anyone here might

have
an
idea? Convert the garden vac?

To give an idea of volume. one attic filled 34 wheeliebin bags so

rigging
suction hose that empties thro the loft hatch into a bin in the hall

below
would be perfect.
Otherwise its back to 120 degree pain for the next loft (in 3 weeks

time)

Thanks

Peter

When I cleaned the filthy loose-lay insulation from my loft last year I
bought a huge roll of 500 gauge polythene tubing which i could cut to
length, tie up one end with string and hang down from the loft hatch. I
could then keep scooping up the debris with a dustpan and pour it in

without
making a mess of the rest of the house.
When full, I just tied up the other end and folded the sausage into my

car
to take to the tip and cut a new length to start again.
Muchly recommended by the wife for keeping the house clean

It was polystyrene?

Yup, had to clean the wiring where it was eating through, bits stuck all
the way along. Mind you it had taken 30 years to chew thro the outer cable
sheath. Rewiring was necessary of course. So far 2 houses, same street same
builder same insulation.

Peter

Hard to imagine that being used. Are you sure it wasn't vermiculite, a
safely inert, natural mica type of earth?