Posted to rec.woodworking
Ken McIsaac Ken McIsaac is offline

Default Wood Couch?

On Wed, 13 Jun 2007 23:22:55 GMT, Phisherman wrote:

On Wed, 13 Jun 2007 17:13:21 GMT, "Toller" wrote:

My wife has asked me to build a wood couch to match the "mission" mahogany
coffee table I build her last year.

Of hand I can't picture a wood couch. Anyone got plans/examples?
Thanks.

You should be able to find plans for a matching couch in a book on
mission style furniture. They tend to have flat (parallel to the
floor) arm rests with large (3x3) posts at the corners and vertical
1x1 slats connecting the arm rests to the seat and a similar design
along the back.

Of course the standard mission ornamentation (those curved bits under
the arms, dark wood plugs or through or wedged tenons, etc.) can be
added.

Then you get lots and lots of cushions so as not to cripple yourselves
when you sit on it.

- Ken

I built a Shaker-style settee. Beech spindles, cherry back, pine
seat, hard maple turned legs and ships' knees from steam-bent white
oak. The entire settee was stained with honey oak. Very simple
design. No upholstery nor cushions, and not exactly comfortable, but
great for guests that stay too long.