Posted to rec.woodworking
mike hide mike hide is offline

Default 1,100 Hours - In One Piece?

Ah but engraving is certainly not traditional woodworking, it is more akin
to carving . As fast as he was I would imagine Grinling took even more time
than that. I think it might be more like Leuf said, doing anything but
actually working on said pieces . For what it is worth I did a complete
library from a wreaked room in less time than that, including all doors
computer station fully paneled walls trimmed out and cased entrance [see web
page] oh and all the drawings for approval.....mjh

http://mikehide2.tripod.com/id26.htm

"Steve Wolfe" wrote in message
. ..
But Joe Tracy makes furniture for a living so I suspect the 1,100 hours
were "billable hours", not elapsed time. Can you imagine going to work
five days a week, eight hours a day, working on one set of pieces - and
do that for over six months - and at the end of six months have five
coherent pieces?

Some of the most prize shotguns that come out of the Beretta factory
have several thousand hours just in *engraving*.

steve