Posted to rec.woodworking
J. Clarke J. Clarke is offline

Default Is A SawStop Table Saw Worth the Money

Unquestionably Confused wrote:
J. Clarke, wrote the following at or about 6/13/2007 1:54 PM:

Just heard from a local HS shop teacher - he's getting two of them.
He gets a kickback accident ever so often (more rarely, due to his
teaching
skills and the many eyes in the back of his head, I'm sure), but
he simply can not afford a possibility of an amputation accident.

In a high school shop I can imagine the "bad boy" touching the edge
of the blade, thereby triggering the Sawstop and using up a
cartridge and a blade just to disrupt the class.

Just need a bit of rewiring with a randomized timer AND a large sign
which reads:

"USE EXTREME CAUTION! This SawStop saw is equipped with an
intermittent safety device which has the safety feature fully enabled
90% of the time. Do you feel lucky?"

Won't stop him. You don't have to touch the teeth to trigger the
cartridge. Touch anywhere on the blade and it goes. And if he touches
it and it _doesn't_ go then it's lawyer city. Understand, the objective
is not to see if the stop works, it's to disrupt the class.

--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)