Posted to uk.d-i-y
Simon Stroud Simon Stroud is offline

Default fire regs for loft conversion

"Guy Dawson" wrote in message
Vass wrote:
Some advice please
A mate of mine is in the middle of a loft conversion to a
house.
The council have now insisted he replace all his Pine
doors throughout the house with Firedoors
Is that right?
(London)

It was not the case in 2003 when we converted the loft in our house in
Heston.

We were told that new doors like the one from the loft landing into the
loft room had to be firedoors but existing doors on the ground and
first floors did not have to be changed. If we did change any existing
doors then they would have to be firedoors.

Guy
-- --------------------------------------------------------------------
Guy Dawson I.T. Manager Crossflight Ltd

Similar to what we did/were told a few years ago.

New doors in the loft must be 30 minute fire doors

Existing doors of "habitable rooms", (i.e. pretty much everything that isn't
a bathroom or cupboard) opening onto the escape route (i.e. landing and
entrance hall) are OK but must be fitted with self closers.

Existing glazing must be filled in or replaced with "georgian wired" glass.

Any doors replaced as part of the conversion would have to be upgraded to
fire doors.

So what we did was:

- board/plaster over the little "windows" above the bedroom doors on the
first floor
- replace the glazed kitchen door with a standard unglazed door. note we did
this the night before the conversion chaps arrived - if they had done it 12
hours later then it would have had to be a fire door - madness! I left the
painting of it until months later when the conversion was finished.
- and of course had self closers fitted on all these doors and the new ones
in the loft.

Regards,

Simon.