Posted to sci.electronics.repair
n cook n cook is offline

Default Rewinding a motor stator

Got a bit tired of electronics and as my old hand drill, i only use for
counter-clockwise left-hand drilling, is playing up so I decided to give it
a birthday present of a new coil. It was supposed to be for 240V but running
off 110V via a variac was ok for my purposes, but now the part-bad coil was
causing too much variation and excess current/contact arcing for the ammeter
on the variac.
I removed the relatively blackened coil , that putting a meter over that
coil , in use, confirmed bad in comparison to the other. Cut through the
hank and counted turns , weighed the copper to .2 gm and measured the wire
diameter so I know how many turns and a good idea of the average diameter.
Does anyone know a formula for a better guide for setting up a 2-part former
( for removal) with the right dimensions, to wind a replacement before
squashing and placing in the channels with paper from an old high voltage
capacitor and then swathing in lacquer. Would laying a length of rubber cord
around the placement area inside the motor be a better idea for getting the
winding former dimensions. any other tips ?

--
Diverse Devices, Southampton, England